Saturday, May 10, 2014

A Festive Day in Munich

I am convinced that we picked the perfect time to study abroad in Germany after today. After stepping foot off the train in Munich, we began to see people in lederhosen, something we were told we would never see while in Germany. We soon learned that there was going to be a huge celebration of the Bayern Munich soccer team winning the German league, and the entire city was going to be in on it. There were a multitude of people wearing lederhosen, Bayern Munich jerseys, and not quite sober (if you know what I mean). 
We started our day in Munich by touring the city. It was a very interesting tour where we saw a city palace, opera, and city hall. It continues to amaze me when I see the Bavarian architecture and city planning style. After this, we had bratwurst for lunch and then had some free time in the afternoon.

I decided to meet up with a foreign exchange student named Sarah who had lived with my family while I was in high school. I met up with her, had a pretzel,  apple kuchen (which is like an apple cheesecake with very little sugar), and went to the Hofbrauhaus where there was music from a live Bavarian band. We then walked around the city and had a very good afternoon. We walked through the city center square where Bayern Munich fans were all gathered and chanting and singing. We also walked through the market where produce and trinkets were being sold. 

After Sarah caught her train back home, I wandered around Munich, exploring the different cathedrals that were all near the city center. There were four or five just in that area, and they were all very old, large, and beautiful.

Finally, our group met up for dinner at a burger restaurant, which was delicious. I got a hamburger with  brie cheese and cranberries, which was fantastic. I am definitely going to have to grill some of that up on my own this summer. We then caught the train back to Augsburg. It was an exciting, fun day!



No comments:

Post a Comment